Thursday, November 26, 2009

Giving thanks, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

Things for which I am thankful:

For all the years we had our Grandpa, the patriarch of the Gravatt Family. Robert Gravatt died January 15th, 2009 so this is our first Thanksgiving without him. Five of his children, most of his 20 grandchildren, and a bunch of great-grandchildren are gathered today and will remember him dearly.

Robert H. Gravatt, 1925-2009

For my extended family, gathered together in Kansas City, Kansas. Forty+ people and it is always the most pleasant time. As a whole they are amazingly functional. There are no fights, everyone truly appreciates each other, and we eat like royalty.

For the safe return of my cousin Joe from 10 month tour of duty in Iraq. Just in time for the holidays! He missed Grandpa's funeral, so we are super happy to have him back now.

Thank you for your service Joe!

For abundant and cheap, though not necessarily nutritious, food. It is great to be American, right?

For my roommate Kyle. He sets a good example of healthy eating (sometimes) and he humors me. And he built my compost bins! It's a good setup.

For our American university system, especially the graduate system. It is reportedly the best in the world and drives global education and innovation. I am glad to be participating in it. Go Hogs!

For Congress and the President. They have not achieved everything they could have and they have dropped the ball in some places, but they have done right by the American people in a few places. The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, SCHIP expansion, an imperfect Stimulus bill (with the largest taxcut for average Americans ever), and the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act are a few of them.

For the fall I got to see in Fayetteville. I missed two falls in row being in Florida and I was amazed that I had forgotten exactly how vivid and diverse the colors are in the Ozarks. A wet fall helped extend the fall foliage.

(photo credit: Susana O'Daniel)

For thousands of other things that I overlook everyday......



No comments: