Monday, August 23, 2010

Cafetière à piston

Making coffee shouldn't take a recipe or directions, right? Then again millions of people pay $4 per cup every day at coffee shops around the world. Granted, much of that is espresso and it helps to have a nice machine and all kinds of sweet additions handy. People buy the plain drip coffee though as well...I know I do!

On Kyle's last trip to IKEA he brought me an awesome surprise: a french press. It was such a thoughtful surprise because he knows I like coffee and hate dragging out a coffee pot to make just a cup or two. It is a great addition to our kitchen.


It got put into a cupboard and was not used until I came back from my trip to Richmond to see my friend Gary. He swears by his french press and since I had not used one before I asked him to teach me. It's not hard, but not being familiar with one is just enough for someone like me to avoid it. So now I pass on the knowledge.

1. One tablespoon regular ground coffee per 6 ounces cup of water. (A "cup" of coffee is 6 fluid ounces, not 8.) Straight into the bottom of the beaker.



2. Pour in BOILING water. A coffee pot does not have the right temperature water going over the grounds. This is important for best flavor.



3. Place plunger on beaker (do not push down yet) and allow to steep for a few minutes (no more than 4 or 5 minutes).

4. Slowly push plunger down to trap grounds in the bottom of the beaker.


5. Pour and enjoy! (If you brewed more than a cup, be sure to pour coffee into a different container. If it sits too long with the grounds it will get bitter)


More info from Wikipedia:
Because the coffee grounds remain in direct contact with the brewing water and the grounds are filtered from the water via a mesh instead of a paper filter, coffee brewed with the French press captures more of the coffee's flavour and essential oils, which would become trapped in a traditional drip brew machine's paper filters. French pressed coffee is usually stronger and thicker and has more sediment than drip-brewed coffee. Because the used grounds remain in the drink after brewing, French pressed coffee left to stand can become bitter. For a 1⁄2-litre (0.11 imp gal; 0.13 US gal) French press the contents are considered spoiled after around 20 minutes.

No comments: