Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Community Center idea: Clean Out Your Computer Day

I have had this suggestion for a few years and casually made it, but perhaps it is going to take putting it on paper to convince a few folks.  I've never seen it done as a community event.

Clean Out Your Computer Day
Monday February 10th




I am sure lots of LGBT community centers are searching for each programming. I envision folks bringing their laptops for a morning/afternoon/evening. Move the day to Saturday if you normally have an open house/hours that day.

Materials:
*electronic duster (canned air!)
*screen and keyboard cleaner
*special screen wipes
*tiny tools/screw drivers (I know that I have 2 screws that fell out of my laptop
*your Center's STICKERS or your state LGBT group's STICKERS

Reasons why I think this is great programming
*almost every laptop could use a good cleaning
*almost every laptop could use a good virus scan
*shared resources....rather than buying that bottle of cleaner then never using the whole bottle
*cross generational (youngins can help the less savvy do things like virus scan, etc)

This could be extended to cell phones as well I guess.....someone might donate a stack of iPhone sticky/plastic protectors. The phones need cleaned before those get stuck on as well! Perhaps existing programs like computer education could be moved to this day as well.

I'm fully aware that only a portion of community members have such electronics.


No comments: